Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Challenge Issued

I challenge Mr. Markey to follow the Ramsey plan to the letter for 12 months and present his financial statements before and after that time period.  Only then can he write from a position of experience rather than theory.
Click Send.
It’s true, I get a little fired up when I see people knocking a system that I have personally benefitted from.  I am a proponent of caution, but outright argument against something one doesn’t understand really gets my goat.  Probably because I’ve done it so much in the past.
But the phrase “don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it” is becoming increasingly applicable in a day of rampant blogs and “opinion pieces.”  Yes, I admit that you’re reading those right now.
The last year has taught me a few things.

  • I am not a natural saver.  Trust me, if there’s money in the bank and I feel like there’s a reason to spend it, I will spend it.
  • Concession is not the same as agreement.  Just because someone goes along with your plan doesn’t mean they think it’s a good one.
  • You can’t expect people to change.  I had to apologize to my husband for not insisting he cut up his last card.  I thought he’d get over debt once we were out of it.  A year later we are still living with Priceline.
  • There is SO much less paperwork when buying a house with cash.


I’ve learned all these things because I experienced them.  Not because I listened to a 3-minute blip on the radio that made me believe them.
If it annoys you to see me talk about how nice it is to have no debt, or how it’s possible to buy a house with cash, or that sacrificing, while unpleasant at the time, is worthwhile, that’s fine.  You’re allowed to be annoyed.

But you can’t call me wrong until you’ve tried it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment