Thursday, January 5, 2017

Facebook Purge

How many friends do you have?  Not people you can call on when you’re having a personal crisis, or who will travel across the country, or world, to go on a trip with you.  Those are best friends.  I’m talking about Facebook friends.

At current count, I have 124 Facebook friends.  That is, acquaintances with whom I’m willing to share private events and introspective thoughts.  Honestly, that number fluctuates on a 6-month basis, because I’m fairly picky about who I include as friends on Facebook.

Biannually, I go through my list of friends and cull anyone with whom I haven’t had some sort of interaction over the past six months: either me liking their posts, them liking my posts, or, heaven forfend, actually commenting on one another’s life events.

Likewise, in my “real” life – that is physical life and not virtual – I am pretty picky about with whom I choose to spend my time.

Which causes me to wonder: how pleasant am I to be around?

In real life, if someone doesn’t like what I’m saying, they can dispute my comments or walk away.  Most people try to avoid constant negativity in conversation, recognizing it makes them unpleasant to be around.  It’s hard to be friendly toward someone who argues the point of clouds having silver linings.

To this end, this month I’m going to perform an audit of my own Facebook posts over the past six months and see how I measure up.  Am I putting a lot of negative out there for my friends and family to know me by, or am I encouraging and expressing gratitude – which is how I feel most of the time.

Do you use your Facebook as a rant outlet or a crappy day meter?  Have you challenged yourself to only posting positive messages?

No comments:

Post a Comment